Friday, June 8, 2007

Disclaimer

Especially after last night's "grumpy E", I feel I should mention this.

I am not my characters, nor are they me. I am a role-player and story-teller. My characters have attitudes, background, and mental processes that are not mine.

If, at any point, you (the player of another character) find that you are upset with or offended by me (the player of E-VAC, etc.), please send me a /tell or otherwise talk to me out of character. I don't want what the characters do coloring how the players feel, especially as Team 2.0 is in the depths of major in-character angst.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled programming, already in progress.

5 comments:

Warwriter Widow said...

I played RP with someone where the characters were both vying for someone's affections, and the other person swore and said absolutely hateful things to my character. Mind you, this was my first exposure to RP, and it hurt me personally. We discussed it OOC but I couldn't get over it, so I quit playing with her.

Then Star, as Yellowjakket, played an antagonistic character against mine (Frost-Blood, who was out to kill her). She would send me a tell or two to say she was going to be mean, or insulting, or swear at me - and she'd send a tell to me if I uttered some really biting remark. This way I knew that what I said wasn't being meant personally, and she wasn't taking anything I said personally. This reassurance helped the RP immensely, because we *knew* we were hitting our characters, not each other.

I decided to try and use this convention especially with the recent hatefulness between Fyre and Mase. It's both to reassure her and myself that what we say and do isn't meant as a personal attack (and when she lobs some zingers I send her a tell that it was a good one), that we don't hate each other. This story is absolutely engaging (better than any soap I've ever seen!) and I want to hear the absolute worst she can sling at Mase - because I have a feeling there are going to be some beauts. And you guys are so witty!

Last night when she came to help Mase and Mase refused to acknowledge her but the player did, I wanted it to be known to the team that we're not antagonistic toward each other. You guys have probably done RP a lot longer than I have, so it's probably second nature for you to stir up the muck between you and know it's the characters that are doing it. I'm still a babe in the woods here. I did it to reassure her and myself that I wasn't taking anything personally.

(I was going to write something like this on my blog today, but the lightning strike was more important.)

I didn't notice E to be more grumpy than usual. Nor was I - or have I been - taking anything he says personally. Okay? Hugs all around, let's play.

Mega D said...

I agree with Masonry; the OOC "I'm gonna get you, sucka" tell has been tremendously helpful (as well as the OOC humor moments that can greatly ease player tension without destroying character tension).

Villain-side it's almost a necessity because some characters are constantly at each other's throats. It's certainly not indicative of how I feel about any particular player.

Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference, and I'll admit to not doing my share of OOC "it's all good" tells when I'm letting loose on a character. Plus, when the player identifies closely with the character, it can blur the lines between digs at the character and digs at the person. I can definitely see that causing problems.

As for Grumpy Pants E: Yes, Cimbala's first impression of E wasn't very flattering, but then again she was getting a barrage of "told you so's" from her inner squid, and the player was getting a "get your ass over here for dinner," so she couldn't stick around.

At any rate, happy, dopey, grumpy, sleepy ... it's all accepted in the spirit of RP and fun.

--Kit

The Vagabond said...

It's all about the pants with you, isn't it, Kit? :D

Fyre Hex said...

I was going to post something like this, too, but you all get up way earlier than me, at least on Fridays.

I think someone posted something very briefly touching on this awhile back, or maybe we just talked about it, but now's definately a good time to bring it up again. Mason's player's tells crack me up. The characters are glaring knives at each other, and the player sends me the virtual equivelent of a cute little finger wave.

Fyre has more than a couple of my personality traits, and she often speaks like I do, but she's not me. I don't have the urge to set people on fire...um... often... usually... Nevermind.

But, still, absolutely not my characters. My level 40 villian is a fallen angel as old as time. No, I don't identify with her in the least.

I will say, though, sometimes, the OOC joking stuff sort of throws me out of the thought processes I'm trying to use for my characters. No, I'm not saying, "Don't do that!" I'm just explaining why I may not participate as much when something big is happening, drama-wise. Maybe my brain doesn't switch gears that quickly, but it certainly doesn't mean that I'm plotting your death along with my character plotting your character's death. Like I said before, I thought Mason's pants were hiliarious. Fyre, not so much.

And, yeah, E was grumpy. Fyre and I both noticed and winced every time he made a "grumpy" comment. I also was able to recognize that that character was grumpy, not the player.

Anyway... good post, E. You saved the rest of us from doing it. :)

pauloddr said...

Frosty wasn't there to feel the wrath of E's grumpiness, but a similar thing happened with him and Morrow (Star's player) in the same night.

After that *messy* mission (Morrow and Cimbala were with us, Fyre died dozen times, etc), Frost left quickly and went next to a tree, Mase followed him and he started ranting. He was *totally* pissed (but not the player). Frost was annoyed (among other things) by Morrow's accent and behavior, and he said it out loud in local with Mase, and Morrow heard it. He left the team and switched, and the player sent me a tell that made me worry because she thought I was ooc'ly pissed with her (by not understanding what her character said), and I assured her I wasn't. We talked about it over tells.

The comment her character made (on team chat) was heavily accented (Texan) and Frosty (the character) couldn't understand a word of it, he's japanese and all. He was already pissed with all the stuff and his rage just came out as a rant ("I can't understand a damn thing he says!"). However, I, the player, understood what he said perfectly - I think I have a thing for accents, I can understand almost them all (except some... Cajun... one... *drops*), at least written. And when I made Frosty say it, I thought to myself before it: "if the character is close and sees Frosty saying that, he won't care saying it out loud on his face later on." That kinda summarizes how much Frost was pissed at Morrow. But it was all IC, all the time.

And really, good post — exactly what Fyre said. ;)