So you may ask: "Where has the vagabond been?" The simple yet complicated answer to these questions is what I like to call the "Vagabond Rule of Thumb": If I've read it, played it, or watched it, the vagabond has been there. This includes blogs, books, comics, movies, short stories, T.V. shows, video games, and websites. Even when I'm playing another character, in the back of my head, the vagabond is still nearby.
Now, the majority of the time, he is simply an observer. He comes across an interesting plane with interesting people or events on it. He stays in a neighboring plane ("peeking from the ether" he calls it) or hidden within the plane and just... watches. This means he has seen a great many great events he did not participate in. Kind of the planeswalker version of watching T.V.
On the other hand, if my interest is especially strong, if I get drawn into the story so much I feel a part of it, or if I actually role-play in the world, then the vagabond has been there in person, often as an active participant in events. Scattered around, I have 12 different character sheets for structured role-playing games, and I have "free-form" role-played the character in at least twice that many.
Now the most important thing to me, especially regarding the vagabond, is story, so if something is revealed to me where the story would be better served if the vagabond doesn't know it, I'll mentally pull him out. If steps are intentionally taken to be sure he doesn't hear about something, and I hear about it anyway, if it makes sense in the context of the story, he doesn't hear.
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment